Friday, December 24, 2010

Three Favorite Children’s Books

Shaun Tan’s The Arrival is the most recent discovery here. This clever story creatively employs a magical realist perspective toward conveying the immigrant experience. A treasure in its art and originality, The Arrival’s principal victory may be its thoroughly effective and authentic use of the silent narrative voice.

I think one reason that I am still in love with Robert C. O'Brien's Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH is simply that it was one of the first books that helped me to fall in love with reading. More than one of my childhood pets was subsequently named after a NIHM character. However, I do have to say that I was disappointed with the film adaptation’s portrayal of Jenner, as well its unfortunate and unnecessary rewrite toward the demise of the Nicodemus (which DOES NOT happen in the book). Anyway…

Generally a fan of the body of Chris Van Allsberg’s work, I nonetheless think his most beautiful and magical piece remains The Mysteries of Harris Burdick. This book found me in third grade and it’s been the kind of gift I’ve wanted to share with other people ever since.

So, Merry Christmas, my dear fellow perennial children. Here’s to another year of imagination, adventure, and refusing to grow up.