Friday, December 31, 2010

This Year

I'm truly excited about 2011. For a variety of reasons, I believe it’s going to be a very positive and productive year and that it will mark the functional beginning of many good things for both of us. 2010 has been a particularly educational and watershed stretch, but we are grateful for the experiences that have helped re-direct our course on par with a life that we truly want. Entering the New Year seems like a good time to review a few of the biggest lessons that I’ve personally picked up in the past 365 days:

I’ve learned that the difference between practice and being is largely a matter of personal commitment.

I’ve learned that life is very much about every day, and every little moment - and not just about grand, distant plans.

I’ve learned that you can never really know who your friends are until they have to sacrifice something for you.

I’ve learned that in order to move toward real satisfaction you have to build the career and the life that you actually want, and not the one that you think it would be smart to have.

I've learned that I really enjoy tea, and that champagne depresses me.

I’ve learned that other people are rarely worth being dressed uncomfortably for.

I’ve learned that most of what is sold to us as new is in fact simply cleverly repackaged fetishizing of the past.

I've learned that it's nice to have some tradition and ritual in your life.

I’ve learned that unfortunately it is in fact the loudest voice in the room that most often wins, but also that it’s not wrong to fight fire with fire in defense of a good cause.

I've learned that dogs tend to offer better therapy than clinics.

I’ve learned that in terms of pure dollars and cents, my time is worth far more to me than it is to anyone else.

And though I believed it before, I’ve learned that you can choose your family.