Monday, September 6, 2010

The Next City

Lost Angeles. Second morning in the new place. The boys already know the routine. This apartment and waking up in the cool morning ocean city air reminds me of Santa Cruz and Grandma.

The neighbor’s dogs have received the unfortunate sobriquet Cerberus, for their insane unprovoked and relentless barking. The neighbors who owe the dogs seem very nice, just oblivious - and obliviousness is, after all, the predominant state of mankind. So it goes living with humans, and we need to keep this in mind when we go out into the wilderness and try to communicate with them.

On the opposite side of the lot stands a tall, beautiful bamboo wall. I’m pretty sure there are chickens living on the other side of this wall, as I occasionally hear them caballing. I wonder sometimes what they are planning. Thankfully, I have yet to hear a rooster.

Moving was cathartic; it always is - forcing tangible value decisions over the physical materials in one's life. It’s always good for me, cleansing, as it’s amazing how much useless garbage I collect so quickly. And especially odd considering how I imagine myself to be so vigilant in this respect. Anyway, whatever the cases, it feels good to be here, for so many reasons without reason to name.

The Redhead is utterly amazing; unbelievably, I love her more every day. She is this incredible blend of pioneer and modern woman, and for so many reasons and in so many ways I’d be utterly lost without her. We’re both so tired of moving now - we feel this deep, long, and long awaited exhaustion - and are hoping so much that this will be the last stop for a long time. We’re ready to settle in and get to work.

The first night in bed in the dark we drank the opening shots of 15-year-old Dalwhinnie Robb so awesomely gifted for my 33rd. The following afternoon we spent more than an hour at the dog park, in the heat and shade and joy. Also, I have become a gardener, raising as I now am five small herb plant with which I intend to make Stone Soup. By the way, this entry is belated for reasons of internet availability.

A good sign: The previous tenants, a young Canadian couple, left 2 Natural Lights in the fridge for us. Yes, good people do exist, even in LA.